Warren Hastings was the 1st Governor-General of Bengal.
Birth - 1732 Death - 1818
Tenure - 20 October 1773 - 8 February 1785
- Regulating Act of 1773
- Supreme Council of Bengal
- Supreme Court of Judicature at Fort William (1774) was established
- Asiatic Society of Bengal (1784)
- Pitt's India Act (1784)
- Stopped Mughal pension to Shah Alam II
- Abolished the Dual System in Bengal (Which was introduced by Robert Clive).
- Moved Treasury from Murshidabad to Calcutta
- James Augustus Hicky's Bengal Gazette- First Indian newspaper published (in 1780)
- First Anglo-Maratha War (1775–82)
- Second Anglo-Mysore war (1780–84)
- First Rohilla War (1773–1774)
- Ring fence policy
- Founded Calcutta Madrasa (Aliah University)
- Creation of collector post
- The first Governor General to be prosecuted for impeachment. (As a consequence of his involvement in First Rohilla War)
- Experimentation on land settlements. (1772-five years settlement, changed to 1 year in 1776)
- English Translation of Bhagwat Gita by Charles Wilkins.