- BRICS is the acronym coined to associate five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- The BRICS members are known for their significant influence on regional affairs.
- Since 2009, the BRICS nations have met annually at formal summits.
- Originally the first four were grouped as BRIC before the induction of South Africa in 2010.
- The BRICS have a combined area of 39,746,220 sq. km(88% of the world land surface) and an estimated total population of about 3.21 billion(41% of the world population).
- These five nations had a combined nominal GDP of US$19.6 trillion(about 23.2% of the gross world product).
- The New Development Bank (NDB), formerly referred to as the BRICS Development Bank. It is a multilateral development bank operated by the BRICS states.
↑ ↓ Navigate up/down
Enter Go to article
/ Search new term
Esc Close search
You've successfully subscribed to IAS for IAS
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to IAS for IAS
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.